insurance

Should you consider tuition insurance?

Library
Highlights
  • Tuition insurance kicks in after a withdrawal for a covered reason.
  • It can provide a full refund for tuition, room and board, and fees.
  • Some policies offer a lower refund for mental illness withdrawals.

Imagine making a $25,000 investment, only to lose the entire sum less than a month later. Although such an investment scenario sounds like a risky proposition, that's exactly what can happen to parents of college students if their child has to withdraw during the semester for medical or other reasons.

Most colleges and universities will only issue partial refunds after the semester has started. Few, if any, will return any money after the fourth week.

However, parents have the option to recoup their losses through tuition insurance issued by a third-party company. Such policies offer "peace of mind" to parents, says Joel Ohman, a certified financial planner and founder of InsuranceProviders.com.

"Those hard-earned dollars that were scrimped and saved for years will be safeguarded, even if an unforeseen health catastrophe forces a student to withdraw," Ohman says.

Under these policies, students who leave school because they break a leg, contract mononucleosis or are diagnosed with another medical problem can receive as much as 100 percent of paid tuition, room and board, and fees.

The coverage typically kicks in to cover any gaps between what was paid and what the college will refund.

If a student withdraws after the first week, for example, and the college returns 75 percent of the payment, the insurance would cover the remaining 25 percent. But some policies do not provide a 100 percent payback if a student leaves because of mental illness or psychological problems.

Types of coverage

A limited number of companies offer tuition insurance. Next Generation Insurance Group writes policies that can be applied to any college or university in the country, according to Bill Suneson, the company's co-founder and president.

The company's GradGuard.com coverage starts at an annual payment of $239 for $5,000 in coverage for a semester, or $10,000 for the year, and ranges up to $599 for $25,000 for a semester or $50,000 for the year.

"Like any insurance product, it's a matter of risk tolerance," Suneson says. "I don't think it hurts for students to have some level of refund insurance."

The policy can be invoked for a 100 percent refund for tuition, books and fees should a student leave school due to physical or mental illness, an accident, or the death of a parent or payer.

The GradGuard coverage also includes other benefits, such as a registry to protect against identity theft; up to $50,000 in emergency medical evacuation insurance; up to $1,000 toward computer repairs and five years of extended warranty coverage on eligible products costing up to $5,000. "The (latter) are the risks students face when they go away to college," Suneson says. "We did research to identify the common risks."

Know the fine print

Because tuition insurance policies shield a financial risk, they are not typically subject to clauses barring coverage for preexisting conditions. At the same time, GradGuard wouldn't cover an accident or new illness diagnosed immediately prior to the purchase of a policy, Suneson says.

advertisement

Show Bankrate's community sharing policy
          Connect with us
advertisement
CD & INVESTING NEWSLETTER

Learn the latest trends that will help grow your portfolio, plus tips on investing strategies. Delivered weekly.

Blog

Jay MacDonald

Teen texting-while-driving cost: No LOL

An accident caused by texting while driving can more than double a teen driver's auto insurance rate.  ... Read more

advertisement
Partner Center
advertisement

Connect with us