Father and daughter taking photo together | Juanmonino/E+/Getty Images

Dear Dr. Don,

Our daughter needs some financial assistance. She’s 40, single, just lost her job and has returned to college for her master’s degree. Can we open a Section 529 deferred tax account in her name?


— Frank Funding

Dear Frank,

You need some pretty strong tax reasons to take this route. College savings plans tend to be built so that any investment gains will be tax-free when the distributions are used for qualified higher education expenses. Your daughter, however, is already in college and could be using student loans. There’s not going to be much, if any, investment gain, so that’s not an advantage of starting the account.

The other benefit to having a 529 account would be if your state offers a tax deduction or tax credit on contributions to a Section 529 plan. Most states offering this kind of tax break require you to contribute to your home state’s plan, although some states offer a deduction for contributions to any 529 plan. Some states also have a one- or multi-year waiting period so the account can’t be used as a pass-through account to capture state income-tax deductions. The dollar limit of the tax-deductible contribution also varies by state.

I don’t know how much you intend to help out, but the annual exclusion for gift taxes in 2016 is $14,000, or $28,000 if you and your wife split gifts. With a Section 529 plan, you can front-load 5 years’ worth of gifts into the account up to $70,000 for a single filer, or $140,000 per couple. You could also just write a check directly to the college or university, and that amount would not count against your annual exclusion limits, though it may drastically affect her financial aid package if she’s attending school for more than one year.

How long will it take for your daughter to earn a master’s in her field? If it’s more than a year, you should weigh how your actions will shape her financial aid package.

Good luck.

RATE SEARCH: When you begin researching student loan rates, first look at Bankrate.com.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the “Ask the Experts” page and select one of these topics: “Financing a home,” “Saving & Investing” or “Money.” Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate’s content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate’s Terms of Use.

Promoted Stories