2014 high-yield checking: Consumers Credit Union
Consumers Credit Union in Waukegan, Illinois, offers Free Rewards Checking, with a high annual percentage yield and a low balance cap. Bankrate's 2014 High-Yield Checking Survey breaks down the returns you can get with each account and the hoops you'll have to jump through to get them.
Consumers Credit Union
Location: Waukegan, IL
|Nationally offered? Y||APY: 3.09%||APY if conditions not met: 0.01%||Monthly debit transactions required: 12*||Bill pay or automatic withdrawal required? Y*||Direct deposit required? Y*||Balance cap: $10,000|
- Free Rewards Checking: Available nationally.
- Tiered APY 2: 4.09% -- Must meet the requirements to earn 3.09% APY and complete 12 Consumers Credit Union Visa credit card purchase transactions.
- No minimum purchase requirement.
- Tiered APY 3: 5.09% -- Must meet the requirements to earn 3.09% APY and spend at least $1,000 in credit union Visa purchase transactions, regardless of the number of purchases.
- At least 12 debit transactions must be signature-based, not PIN.
- One direct deposit, automatic debit or bill pay is required.
- Must access online banking once per month and enroll in e-statements.
- Balances of $10,000.01 to 24,999.99 yield 0.20%; $25,000 and above yield 0.10%, if requirements are met.
- ATM refund: Unlimited, if requirements are met.
*See notes section for more details.
Bankrate.com canvassed banks, thrifts and credit unions March 10-13 and reports data on 56 high-yield checking accounts offered by 54 institutions.