2014 high-yield checking: Amegy Bank
Amegy Bank in Houston offers Smart Yield Checking with a relatively low annual percentage yield, but with a large balance cap. Bankrate's 2014 High-Yield Checking Survey breaks down the returns you can get with each account and the hoops you'll have to jump through to get them.
|Nationally offered? Y||APY: 0.20%||APY if conditions not met: 0.05%||Monthly debit transactions required: 10||Bill pay or automatic withdrawal required? Y*||Direct deposit required? Y*||Balance cap: $25,000|
- Smart Yield Checking: Available nationally.
- Minimum opening deposit: $50; monthly maintenance fee: $10.
- Minimum average monthly balance to avoid maintenance fee: $500.
- Direct deposit of payroll, Social Security or retirement benefits, or two automatic payments per month are required.
- Make at least 10 net signature-based transactions with your Amegy Debit Card every month or $700 monthly net spend with your Amegy Personal Credit Card.
- Log into online banking at least once per month.
- Receive e-statements.
- Maintain a valid email address.
- ATM refund: Six free, non-Amegy Bank ATM transactions per statement cycle.
- Balance above $25,000 yields 0.10%, if requirements are met.
*See notes section for more details.
Bankrate.com canvassed banks, thrifts and credit unions March 10-13 and reports data on 56 high-yield checking accounts offered by 54 institutions.