New Visitors Privacy Policy Sponsorship Contact Us Media
Baby Boomers Family Green Home and Auto In Critical Condition Just Starting Out Lifestyle Money
-advertisement -
News & Advice Compare Rates Calculators
Rate Alerts  |  Glossary  |  Help
Mortgage Home
Auto CDs &
Retirement Checking &
Taxes Personal


Transcript: Getting more time to file

Tax-filing time flies, and if you're one of the estimated 10 millions Americans who need an extension, you're in luck.

The IRS doesn't want to know the reasons you can't meet your tax-filing deadline, all it wants you to do is file for the extension before April 15.

To get started, you'll need to file the Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time, which will automatically give you a six-month filing extension, until October 15.

Keep in mind, that an extension to file is not an extension to pay. If you're going to owe taxes to Uncle Sam when you finally get your return done, you need to come up with the money, or a close estimate of it, when you ask for the filing extension by April 15.

For more tax tips, visit's Tax Guide.'s corrections policy
-- Posted: March 20, 2009
<< Back to video

Compare Rates
30 yr fixed mtg 4.45%
48 month new car loan 3.77%
1 yr CD 0.89%
Rates may include points
- advertisement -

About Bankrate | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Online Media Kit | Partnerships | Investor Relations | Press Room | Contact Us | Sitemap
NYSE: RATE | RSS Feeds |

* Mortgage rate may include points. See rate tables for details. Click here.
* To see the definition of overnight averages click here. ®, Copyright © 2016 Bankrate, Inc., All Rights Reserved, Terms of Use.