|Checklist: On the road to a new home
moving van is on its way to your new home -- it's time for you to
get going, too.
If you've been following our six-week "countdown to
moving day" timeline, you mapped out the route to your new home
and booked hotel reservations one month in advance.
Two weeks before the big move you had the car checked
by a mechanic.
All of the big stuff is out of the way, but you still
may need a few hours for a quick shopping trip to pick up items
that will make your road trip safer and more enjoyable.
Here's a checklist of items you should have in your
- Map with route clearly marked.
- Hotel reservation confirmation numbers and phone
- Cell phone with car adapter power cord.
- First aid kit -- first aid manual, sterile gauze,
adhesive tape, bandages in several sizes, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic
cream, aspirin and nonaspirin pain reliever, Dramamine, scissors,
instant cold packs and latex gloves. A blanket should be kept
- Emergency road kit -- flares, emergency triangle,
booster cables, flashlight with spare batteries, work gloves,
antifreeze and windshield washer solvent.
- Check that a tire jack, lug wrench and tire iron
are in the vehicle. You may also want a can of Fix-a-Flat or similar
aerosol that inflates flat tires.
- Water, soda, fruit juices and snacks.
- Books, toys, music tapes for the kids.
- Snow shovel if traveling in winter conditions.
-- Posted: Oct. 15, 1999
take | A closer look
| Cut the costs |
Cut the confusion