1. Pay bills on time to avoid late fees.
due date to pay on time; Avoid
the penalty punch; Your
credit card statement made simple
2. Pay more than the minimum on your credit cards.
the true cost of paying the minimum;
for spending less, saving more; 15
credit card terms
3. Read your bank statement regularly.
of a bank statement; 7
ways to keep your account in check;
most common checking account terms
4. Build an emergency fund of at least three
months' living expenses.
about emergency savings; Tips
for kicking off a savings plan; Calculate
what it'll take to save for a goal
5. Prepare a will.
you need to know to write a will;
a living will?; More
personal finance advice
6. Shop around for the best insurance rates and
basics of car insurance; 19
ways to save on auto insurance; More
7. Look around for and switch to credit cards
with lower rates.
to transfer a balance safely; Ask
for a lower credit card rate; More
on credit cards
8. Follow a monthly budget.
your own spending plan; What's
your spending style?; Money-saving
9. Adjust your W-4 annually to make sure you
are not giving the government too much money.
withholding ; Open
a flexible spending account; More
10. Check your credit report annually for accuracy.
you should check your credit report;
your credit report; Protect
yourself from identity theft
11. Contribute to a retirement account.
asked questions about 401(k)s; The
ABCs of IRAs; More
12. Comparison shop for the best deal on your
mortgage or refinancing.
your mortgage costs with a refinance;
your savings with refi calculator;