New Visitors Privacy Policy Sponsorship Contact Us Media
Baby Boomers Family Green Home and Auto In Critical Condition Just Starting Out Lifestyle Money
-advertisement -
News & Advice Compare Rates Calculators
Rate Alerts  |  Glossary  |  Help
Mortgage Home
Auto CDs &
Retirement Checking &
Taxes Personal


Tax Toolbox


Doing your taxes can be less frustrating, less time-consuming and less costly if you're prepared.

Getting organized is the first step in filing your taxes

Even if your tax situation isn't complicated, there's still documentation the Internal Revenue Service demands. But tax filing doesn't have to be an ordeal. And it can be less frustrating and less time-consuming if you have all the material at your fingertips.

By being prepared, you'll be ready to file your return at the earliest possible moment (the IRS usually starts accepting returns around mid-January). And the earlier you file, the sooner you'll get your refund.

Much of the paperwork you'll need to fill out your Form 1040 will tell the IRS how much money you made so they can tax it. But there also is information that will help you trim your tax bill.

To help you organize your tax paperwork, here are some of the most common documents you'll need.

File by the (identification) numbers
The IRS tracks every taxpayer through a Social Security number. For those of you who file your own returns, this isn't a problem. But if you drop all your data off at your accountant's office, make sure that your Social Security number is in there, as well as your spouse's if you file jointly.

Do you have any dependents -- children, parents -- that you'll be claiming? Then you'll need those numbers, too. This includes everyone, even infants. If your kids don't have their numbers yet, contact the Social Security Administration immediately. A missing Social Security number for any person listed on your return could cost you.

The IRS could delay the processing of your return, slow down any refund, or even disallow a credit if you don't have the identification numbers to support it.

And don't forget the tax identification number of the person or business that takes care of the kids while you're at work. You'll need it if you file for the child care credit. You should receive a statement from the care provider that includes his or her tax ID number, as well as the amount you paid, so you can use it to claim the credit.

It is called an incometax
Since it's our income that the taxman wants a piece of, start thinking about the employment and income data you'll need to file.

By the end of January, employees should get a Form W-2 from the boss showing how much was earned, how much is taxable and just what taxes were withheld. If you have more than one job, you should get a Form W-2 from each employer.

You say you're still waiting for your W-2? The IRS has a substitute form you can use in its place. You'll need last year's final pay stub for data to enter on the alternate W-2. And even if you have your official tax form, check it against that last pay stub to make sure the W-2 data is correct.

If you're an independent contractor, the company you worked for should send you a Form 1099-MISC showing your gross earnings.

-- Updated: Jan. 2, 2006
Page | 1 | 2 | 3 |

- advertisement -
Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?
- advertisement -

About Bankrate | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Online Media Kit | Partnerships | Investor Relations | Press Room | Contact Us | Sitemap
NYSE: RATE | RSS Feeds |

* Mortgage rate may include points. See rate tables for details. Click here.
* To see the definition of overnight averages click here. ®, Copyright © 2016 Bankrate, Inc., All Rights Reserved, Terms of Use.