-advertisement -

Marriage and your changing tax-life

Who doesn't remember these lines: "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes ... a new tax bill!" OK, not exactly, but couples must file their taxes differently once they say "I do."
Knowing whether to file jointly or separately is one factor to consider. And, when you are setting your wedding date, keep in mind that the IRS considers you married for the entire fiscal year even if you marry on Dec. 31.

Here's to combining your fiscal affairs ...
Newlyweds' guide to a joint return

Filing your first 1040 together won't be romantic, but it can mark the beginning of a strong financial partnership.
Plus: 6 financial moves for newlyweds

Marriage changes your tax-life

You can file one of two ways -- married filing jointly or married filing separately. Understand the best option for you.
Plus: When sharing taxes might not be such a good idea

- advertisement -
Married taxpayers get some temporary tax relief

Unfortunately, the relief is temporary and set to expire on Jan. 1, 2011.

Two homes plus two sales equals capital gains bill

A couple's sales of separate properties are taxing their new marriage. Here's how they can reduce their capital gains bill.


-- Posted: May 21, 2005




Looking for more stories like this? We'll send them directly to you!
Bankrate.com's corrections policy

Compare Rates
30 yr fixed mtg 4.45%
48 month new car loan 3.77%
1 yr CD 0.89%
Rates may include points

Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?

Tax Basics
Knowing how to file can save you money.
Filling out the W-4 form
What is my tax rate?
How to itemize deductions
Tax credits can lower bill
Death and taxes
Tax record-keeping

Income tax rates  
Tax forms  
State taxes  
Tax basics

- advertisement -
- advertisement -