- advertisement -
Changing your last name

Congratulations on your marriage! Now the fun begins. No, we're not talking about long walks on the beach; we' re talking about your new last name.

- advertisement -

If you've chosen to take your husband's name, you'd better start letting people know, and this includes those involved in your financial life. Your credit report is a good place to start.

Why bother? Because you want to guarantee that all your good credit information follows you into matrimony. That way, you and your better half shouldn't have any problem getting your first home loan!

The letter below shows just how easy it is to get your new last name put on your credit report. Send a separate letter to all three major credit reporting companies (their addresses are listed in the letter).

Follow up to ensure that the changes were made. You can order a copy of your report, either by phone or online, for around $10 per company. The links in the letter below will take you to each company's Web site where you can get more details on obtaining your credit report.

Remember, in addition to changing your name on financial accounts, you also need to let Uncle Sam know; your Social Security card needs to reflect your new moniker. And, if things don't work out and you decide to go it alone again -- with your original last name -- you can tweak this letter to change your credit report data once again.

Personalize the form letter below by entering your specifics in the areas in red. You can print out this Web page and make your changes by hand or copy the body of the letter and paste it into a document where you can make your changes on your PC.


Equifax Credit Information Services Inc.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

TransUnion LLC
Consumer Disclosure Center
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

National Consumer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

Re: Request to change name on credit report

Dear Sir or Madam:

My credit information with your company current is currently held under my maiden name: Full pre-marriage name. However, I have recently married and now am legally known as: Full married name.

This letter is my formal request that you change your records to reflect my new legal name. In addition to my new name, your data should indicate my new address. Below I have listed, along with my Social Security number, my prior name and previous address and my new name and address to which my records should be changed:

Pre-marriage information

Married information

Full maiden name
Social Security number
Old mailing address
City, State and ZIP Code

New married name
Social Security number
New mailing address
City, State and ZIP Code

If you have any questions about these changes, you can contact me by mail at my new address or by telephone at work phone number during business hours.

I also am enclosing a copy of my marriage license. This will verify my name change and ensure accurate spelling on my updated credit report.

Thank you for your prompt attention to my request.

Your Signature
Your Typed Name
Your Address
City, State and ZIP Code

Enclosure: Marriage license (copy)

Bankrate.com's corrections policy
-- Posted: Oct. 23, 2003
Getting clued in to your credit report
Correct credit errors quickly
Cracking down on credit info leaks
Fame & Fortune: Monica Seles
10-year Treasury-buyer beware
9 cash-saving strategies that pay big bucks

CDs and Investments
Compare today's rates
1 yr CD 1.04%
2 yr CD 1.17%
5 yr CD 1.70%
Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?
Rev up your portfolio
with these tips and tricks.
- advertisement -
- advertisement -