- advertisement -

George Saenz, the Bankrate.com Tax Talk columnistCapital gains exclusion for foreign home

Dear Tax Talk,
I have sold a home abroad after living in it for five years and then emigrated to the U.S. I was already a permanent U.S. resident by the time of sale. Do I owe Uncle Sam any tax for the profit, which was around $100,000?
-- Olle

- advertisement -

Dear Olle,
You can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain on the sale of your main home if you meet the ownership and use test.

Also, to claim the exclusion during the two-year period ending on the date of the sale, you must not have excluded gain from the sale of another home.

To pass the ownership and use test means that during the five-year period ending on the date of the sale, you have to meet two main criteria.

You must have:

The law does not differentiate whether the home is in a foreign country. It also does not consider whether you were a resident of this country during the period of ownership and use. For example, if a U.S. citizen resided in Paris for two of the last five years, that home could be considered his or her personal residence and qualify for gain exclusion. Accordingly, so long as within two of the last five years ending on the date of the sale, you used and owned the foreign-country home as your principal residence, you will not owe tax on the $100,000 gain.

To ask a question on Tax Talk, go to the "Ask the Experts" page and select "taxes" as the topic.

Bankrate.com's corrections policy-- Posted: Nov. 9, 2006
Read more Tax Adviser columnsAsk a question
Computing capital gains on a home sale
Tax repercussions for foreign property sale
Taxes on sale of home owned by foreigners
June 15 filing deadline for some
Find the tax professional who's right for you
Coming up with tax cash

Compare Rates
30 yr fixed mtg 4.45%
48 month new car loan 3.77%
1 yr CD 0.89%
Rates may include points
Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?
- advertisement -