- advertisement -

Tax Talk with George Saenz

Ask the tax adviser

Writing off a totaled auto

Dear Tax Talk:
If I was involved in an auto accident with a free-and-clear title and received $4,000 less than the Blue Book value of the vehicle. Can I write off this loss?

Dear Michael:
It seems like I should ask you if you would get in an accident if you could get a write-off?

A loss that is not fully compensated by insurance is a casualty loss. Casualty losses get reported on Form 4864.

A casualty loss involving personal-use property is subject to deduction limitations. You measure your loss by reducing the lower of either your original cost or the value at the time of the accident by the amount of insurance proceeds plus any remaining value to the damaged property. If the car were totaled, then there would be no remaining value to you. If the Blue Book value is $4,000 more than your insurance recovery, then you would have a $4,000 loss.

- advertisement -

The loss, however, is subject to reductions. First, you reduce your loss by $100, then you reduce it by 10 percent of your adjusted gross income. For example, if your AGI is more than $39,000, then your casualty loss would be reduced to zero:

Loss-reduction example
First reduction
( 100)
Remaining loss
10% AGI
Net loss for tax

Finally, assuming you don't lose all your loss to the reductions, a casualty loss is an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

-- Posted: April 15, 2003

Read more Tax Adviser columns
Looking for more stories like this? We'll send them directly to you!
Bankrate.com's corrections policy
top of page
See Also
Unexpected government help for disaster victims
Getting the most from itemized deductions

Deductions and credits to cut your tax bill

Tax glossary
More tax adviser stories

Compare Rates
30 yr fixed mtg 4.45%
48 month new car loan 3.77%
1 yr CD 0.89%
Rates may include points

Mortgage calculator
See your FICO Score Range -- Free
How much money can you save in your 401(k) plan?
Which is better -- a rebate or special dealer financing?

Tax Basics
Knowing how to file can save you money.
Filling out the W-4 form
What is my tax rate?
How to itemize deductions
Tax credits can lower bill
Death and taxes
Tax record-keeping

Income tax rates  
Tax forms  
State taxes  
Tax basics

- advertisement -

- advertisement -