News & Advice Compare Rates Calculators
Rate Alerts  |  Glossary  |  Help
Mortgage Home
Auto CDs &
Retirement Checking &
Taxes Personal
Bankrate's 2009 Tax Guide
We've added 11 new tax calculators to help make your tax preparations easier than ever!
Self-employment taxes
Self-employed tax calculator
Calculate your FICA and Medicare taxes

Use this self-employed tax calculator to estimate your self-employment taxes. If you are employed, your employer withholds money from your paycheck. This self-employed tax calculator uses 2007 tax tables, subject to modifications by the IRS and changes in the tax code.

   Self-employed tax calculator

This Financial Calculator requires SUN's JavaT Plug-in. If you see this message you will need to download SUN's JavaT Plug-in. This can be done automatically by clicking the yellow bar at the top of your browser and choosing "Install ActiveX Control".

    You can also get SUN's JavaT Plug-in here: Get the JavaT Plug-in!

    For more information about this Plug-in please visit: SUN's JavaT Plug-in
    For more information these financial calculators please visit: Financial Calculators from KJE Computer Solutions, LLC

Net farm income or loss: This is your net farm income or loss. This should include both the net farm profit or loss from Schedule F along with any income from farm partnerships. Please note that if your gross farm income is $2,400 or less and your net farm income is $1,733 or less, there is a "Farm Optional Method" for calculating income subject to self employment taxes. If you qualify for this optional method, it may produce a slightly lower income subject to self-employment taxes. This calculator assumes that you will not use the "Farm Optional Method." For more information, see IRS Schedule SE Part II, Optional Methods to Figure Net Earnings.
Net business income or loss: This is your net income from businesses and partnerships. These amounts are reported on IRS Schedule C for sole proprietorships and IRS Schedule K-1 for partnerships. Do not include any farm partnerships; this income should be included in the net farm income or loss.
In most cases you will need to pay self-employment taxes on salaries received for services performed as a minister. This also includes the rental value of a home and the value of meals and lodging provided to you, your spouse and your family. Include income received for services performed as a minister in your "net business income or loss," do not include it in "Church employee income." There are a number of exceptions for ministers and members of religious orders, in regards to self-employment tax liability. Please see the detailed instructions for self-employment taxes as provided by the IRS to determine how these rules might apply to your specific situation.
Self-employment income: This is your total income subject to self-employment taxes. This is calculated by taking your total "net farm income or loss" and "net business income or loss" and multiplying it by 92.35%. This is done to adjust your net income downward by the total employment tax that would have been paid by an employer, had you not been self employed. If the result is less than $400, you do not owe any self-employment tax on this income.
Church employee income: If you have more than $108.28 in church employee income, you will need to pay self-employment taxes on that income. This does not include any income you received as a minister, which was entered above.
Net church employee income: This is your total church income subject to self-employment taxes. Like your other self-employment income, this total is calculated by multiplying your church employee income by 92.35%. If this amount is less than $100, you do not owe any self-employment taxes on this income.
Employer paid income: Enter your total employment wages and tips that you have been paid where social security taxes have been deducted. In 2008, income up to $102,000 is subject to the 12.4% tax paid for social security portion of self-employment taxes (FICA). Your employment wages and tips should have a 6.2% deduction for social security from your pay, which is matched with a 6.2% payment from your employer. If your total wages, tips and self-employment income exceed $102,000 you only owe social security on the difference between your self-employment income and $102,000. If your total employment wages and tips exceed $102,000 in 2008 you will not owe any additional FICA taxes for the year.

Information and interactive calculators are made available to you as self-help tools for your independent use and are not intended to provide investment advice. We cannot and do not guarantee their applicability or accuracy in regard to your individual circumstances. All examples are hypothetical and are for illustrative purposes. We encourage you to seek personalized advice from qualified professionals regarding all personal finance issues.


- advertisement -
- advertisement -
- advertisement -
About Bankrate | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Online Media Kit | Partnerships | Investor Relations | Press Room | Contact Us | Sitemap
NYSE: RATE | RSS Feeds |

* Mortgage rate may include points. See rate tables for details. Click here.
* To see the definition of overnight averages click here. ®, Copyright © 2015 Bankrate, Inc., All Rights Reserved, Terms of Use.